23 April 2007

Sparagmos?

I have recently had a discussion with my mother about stories of mothers killing their children, and it is my mom's point of view that these women are possessed, and I realized that Agave was possessed by Dionysus, and that *blank* oh what's her name that stews her son Itys and feeds him to her husband, was possessed by the outrage of her sister Philomena's tragedy. I started to see a lot of reason behind this idea of possession. Whether you believe in demonic possession, or the brand of the Gods, all acts of this cruel nature must be the work of a higher power, for just listening to the horrid tales kept me awake all night. I will not repeat these tales in my blog, just in case anyone actually reads this because I now have permanent imprints in my mind of these women killing their children. These are true and recent stories, and while other replications of myth may bring a smile to my lips, this one makes my heart break. I felt persuaded to write on this topic because I myself have a daughter of an age with one of the victims, and well I think that I will tell one story. I mother of three children ages 7, 4, and 1.5 years took her children to the beach. She proceeded to through her children into the water, as if they were playing. Little did onlookers know that she was indeed drowning them. Her one and a half year old stood on the beach clapping, as she thought it looked like a fun game. These children did not know how to swim. The one year old kept clapping until it was her turn for the ocean. I am so upset by this woman that I believe if any one deserved to be sparagmosed it would be her. I cannot imagine anything but possession that would drive a mother to do such a thing instead of turning to child services. We do indeed emulate the past, just as the stop the rape tees indicate. This is not a bright and shiny thing though. There is indeed a darker side to this replication than peanut butter plagues and such.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Your right this subject is truly upsetting and it's unfortunate that our past can't improve our presence but instead everything, good and bad, is continually being reproduced.