02 March 2007

02March07



Okay, I missed class on Friday, so mine is probably not the best to visit for this day. I noticed that Jann does her notes quite a bit like mine though, and Elizabeth's are, as always, all encompassing. I would like to note that I believe that Plato, speaking as Socrates, is very contradictory in his explanation of why Eros must not be beautiful nor good. I say this because he says that the gods are happy and good, yet most gods and some goddesses desire beautiful mates and do things that would not be veiwed as very good. Aphrodite herself cheats on her husband with Ares because Haephestus is not the most attractive of the gods, and because she feels like it. This was an act of both desiring beauty, and one that was not particularly good. The fact that it was not good is proven when Aphrodite is ashamed upon being caught in the act. So, I don't believe that Socrates's reasoning holds up to prove that Eros is a spirit and not a god. Oh, and I must have committed some small act of hubris, as four out of the five people in my house are all sick with different things, and that is why I missed class.

This is taken from Jan's blog(I am sorry Jan, but I wanted to represent the lesson, and was not there):

in our version of Aristophanes speech on pg 27, a better version would be "Each of us is the mere broken tally of a man"

Dr. Sexon likes this translation better.

Vocab -

  1. tally- roman coin, broken piece

  2. numismatics-scientific study of currency

  3. etiology-the study of causations or origins (how things came to be)

  4. tabula rasa- "clean slate", refers to thesis that people are born "blank" (no innate knowledge) See http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Tabula_rasa for more.

Silenus Statue - The Sileni were followers of Dionysus. They were drunks, and were usually bald and fat with thick lips and squat noses, and had the legs of a human.

No comments: